Exit Strategy Advice
company has some
elements of its exit
strategy that can be improved upon. An effective strategy increases the
probability of a successful exit as well as selling for the maximum
price. Few companies plan far enough in advance for this significant
We offer a
series of advisory
sessions to review and assess your
exit strategy to ensure that it maximizes value and that the strategy
is both realistic and effective. The
strategy sessions may range from a few hours to a number of
meetings with your management team depending on your time
frame. We charge a small fee for
concerns and we advise you about the best response to an
unsolicited offer. We advise you on
actions to take moving forward that will increase the value of your
company. Topics include:
- How will a buyer view your company?
- Where is value lost?
- How do companies leave dollars on the
- How can you increase your value?
- Strategic buyers will pay higher prices
than financial buyers.
- How to think about strategic value.
- What drives strategic value?
- Who are the best buyers?
- Who are the nonobvious buyers?
- How will a buyer view your risks?
- How market movement affects price and
- Where is the market movement?
- How to think about the markets.
Potential Problem Areas
- What are your problem areas?
- How should you deal with weakness?
- How can you reduce the risks?
- Where are the red flags?
- What are the top seller mistakes?
- What time frame is right for your
- When should you start to think about
- How lengthy is the sale process?
Management and Shareholder Issues
- Check the alignment between management
and shareholder groups.
- A clear strategy improves alignment.
- Review the management team. Should
changes be made?
- Set up your financial statements for
- Avoid problem areas on the financial
- Review important administrative
- Can a basic due diligence list be
- Get administrative processes in order.
- How does company definition impact exit
- Does your website communicate the right
- Responding to an unsolicited offer.
- Should you reach out to other buyers?
Actions Going Forward
- Use your exit strategy to set priorities.
- What actions should you take right now?
- What actions should you take down the
strategy advice is based on 33 years of experience as a boutique
investment banker specializing in selling companies with strategic
value. I have sold 75 companies across North America as well as in
Europe and Asia.